Sunday, March 13, 2011

STEM Lesson Plan Reflection

This blog was created to allow me to reflect on my experiences as a science teacher and as a graduate student at Walden University.  I welcome your comments and questions.

This reflection is regarding my STEM strategies lesson plan created for my Nature of Science course at Walden University.  The 5 E’s strategy that is:  engagement, exploration, explanation, elaboration, and evaluation is helpful in planning lessons because I helps create a lesson that is complete and considers all parts of the lesson from beginning to end.  It is very similar to the methods I used when I was an undergraduate education major.

Currently, I teach three subject, 7th grade math, 7th grade science, and 8th grade science.  In the past I have also taught 8th grade math.  I am fortunate to have a SmartBoard, so all my lessons are prepared in advance.  Of course, after teaching a lesson, I often go back to change any area where I find student misconceptions.  It is not very realistic to think that a teacher could utilize a template such as the one we were required to use for this lesson plan for every lesson. However, as you get to know your students and as you become a more experienced teacher, you begin to be more successful with engaging students in a new lessons or making sure that you are extending student thinking.  It is never a bad thing to go through the process of completing some formalized lesson plans to ensure that you are not taking short cuts in your classroom presentations.

The lesson plan I created primarily deals with students evaluating Earth’s four systems and how those systems interact with each other.  Students will use the Deepwater Horizon oil spill to help them use a real-world problem for their exploration.  On a secondary level, the lesson deals with how human activity impacts the environment and finally, how we weigh the benefits/costs of things like oil drilling.  The biggest logistical issue I may face in presenting the lesson is getting time in the computer lab for the elaboration activity.  We have two computer labs in our school, but they are heavily used by our language arts department.

Finally, I would like to share two websites that I used to obtain information to use in the engagement and elaboration parts of my lesson.  The websites are:

Smithsonian Education - http://smithsonianeducation.org
Teachers’ Domain - http://www.teachersdomain.org
Smithsonian Education has a variety of interesting lesson plans that meet national content standards.  Teacher’s Domain has a wonderful array of digital media, movies, slideshows, and animations that I often include in my daily lessons.
Thanks for reading my first blog.  As I mentioned before, I welcome your comments!

6 comments:

  1. Reading your post about your lesson was very helpful to me. After teaching elementary school in a low income school with very little advanced technology available for teacher or student use, I feel I am behind the curve when it comes to developing meaningful STEM lessons. It is inspiring to see the ways you experienced science teachers are using real life events to provide engaging experiences for your students. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read your post i have gather alot of insights that i can add to my repertoire.I do agree with you the the 5E's are very effective in our lesson planning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, thank you for your comments. I find it interesting that you indicated that your school is considered low income and has little technology. A friend of mine teaches in an inner city school that is about 10 miles from my school system. They actually have a room full of brand new PCs and no where to put them because they already have too many new PCs already in use! They also have SmartBoards that no one is using. They are funded 86% by the state, while our school is funded 21% and our new governor just cut our school's budge by 1 million dollars next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have a lot to prep for each day teaching 3 subjects. You mentioned you have a SmartBoard-how often do you use it? How long does it take you to prepare your lessons for the SmartBoard. My district might be providing me with one in the next year or two and I'm very excited. Thanks for adding the links for us to use....it's great to share information! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, Since I started teaching 5 years ago I have developed SmartBoard lessons for 5 subjects! Yikes! No wonder I have so much gray hair! I would say between prep time and actually creating the lesson I have spent about an hour an a half per lesson! The initial time spent is time consuming, but now that they are made, it is fabulous. Whenever I find something new or student misconceptions arise, I just make revisions to my current lesson. I hope you get a board, they are great!

    ReplyDelete